Build A Monitor Riser To Save Space And Look Way Cool!

dsc_0159.JPGdsc_0163.JPG

This is a fantastic looking way to economize on you desk space or just spiff it up. Here is what you do:

1. How much area you need on your new mini-desk? I picked 12 in. x 30 in. to give me plenty of space for my 22 inch wide screen, speakers, and whatever else my fancy decides I need up there (pen jars, peripherals, pictures, etc.). I have a large desk so it is not a big deal to have a 12×30 footprint.

2. How much space do you need underneath? I stuffed a huge 15 pound Alienware laptop, a keyboard, mouse, and all sorts of unsightly cords underneath with four inches. Everything on my desk is now organized and easy to keep organized!

3. What are your weight limitations? Since weight was not a problem for me I made mine out of steel for the coolness of durability. I also like the weight because it does not move around very easily if bumped. Never fear if you have a light duty desk though, there is still hope!

If you do need your cool new item to be light weight then consider using black ABS pipe (also called sewer pipe) for the legs and a sanded piece of wood for the table.

4. How much are you willing to spend? If you don’t mind spending a bit for this nifty item and you can handle the weight then make it out of steel. Steel is cool. I only spend $32 to get four, 3”x4”x1/4” tubes and a plate 12”x30”x1/4”. Cut and everything. To save money, request low grade steel as you won’t (or shouldn’t) rely on it to save your life. Low grade is plenty strong for what you are doing. I see now that I have mine built that I didn’t need the table top to be 1/4” thick. For steel you could go as low as 5/8” or even 3/16”. Although that may be pushing it.

5. Then you go to the hardware store and buy some primer and an enamel and give it a custom paint job. I recommend using primer as it will help the enamel stick better to the steel. You can get as creative as you like with the paint job. The more coats you give it the better it will turn out. Make sure you don’t build up to much paint at one spot and create a drop spot.

6. To finish the piece and give it a professional office look, call your local glass company and have them cut you a piece a glass the same dimensions of the desk. Make sure to order it seamed as well to take off the razor sharp edge. A 12”x30”x1/4” plate of seamed glass cost me $12. You should be able to get some tabs for free that will raise the glass a tiny bit above the table to keep it from getting scratched.

Summary of ingredients: 1. Four tubes in proportion to your desired size (ABS pipe or steel)

2. Table top (wood or steel)

3. Primer and enamel (primer goes on first, multiple coats are good)

4. Glass plate same size as table top (seamed for safety)

Total: $50 for me

I imagine you could do this for super cheap by using the ABS and wood and no glass.

There you go. An awesome looking mini-desk that saves you space for cheap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment